Do you have a room in your home that needs to serve 2 purposes? Many people do, and it can be a challenge to achieve both without one purpose taking over & the other getting lost.
It seems that the most common combination is the guest room/office duo. There are lots of questions to ask yourself before starting to merge these two uses:
1. For which purpose will the room be used most?
2. Honestly, how neat have you kept your office in the past?
3. Are you planning on re-using furniture you have, starting fresh or a combination of the 2?
4. What does your ideal guest room include? (Mine needs the following: a full length mirror, a closet, tv, an alarm clock & window coverings that close.
5. As far as the office, what must you have? (Filing cabinets? If so, how many? Reference books?, laptop or desktop? Printer/scanner/fax?)
Something to ponder: I can feel you being tempted by a space-saving (& close-able armoire. They are wonderful, but ONLY if you are actually going to keep it organized enough to close, and if you are actually going to keep it closed when not in use. I implore you to be honest with yourself here. Too many people aren’t & these beautiful armoires really only look nice when closed. A nice simple desk with proper storage might serve you better. It is also a more flexible piece of furniture should you wish to repurpose it down the road.
Do you remember trundle beds from your youth? They have come a long way, baby! You can now find one that resembles a sofa & when pulled out as a bed becomes a king! They are worth investigating!
I am also a fan of the closet-turned-office if your circumstances allow. This can be a fun space, can be closed off, does not encroach on your room, & can be changed back to a closet when necessity dictates such.
Have I jogged your creativity? I certainly hope so! Did I miss your combination room? Write me!